Formal Name: Calcium carbonate
Supplement Forms: Pills, food, liquid

Recommended Daily Allowance

  • Infants: (0 to 12 Months) 200 - 260 mg/day
  • Children: (1 to 13 Years) 700 - 1,300 mg/day
  • Adolescents: (14 to 18 Years) 1,300 mg/day
  • Adults: (19 and older) 1,000 - 1,200 mg/day
  • Lactating Women: 1,000 - 1,300 mg/day
  • Pregnant Women: 1,000 - 1,300 mg/day

Notes: mg stands for milligrams.

Additional Information

Calcium is the most abundant mineral within the human body and one of the most abundant elements on Earth. Calcium performs a multitude of important roles such as signaling biochemical processes within cells, controlling muscular contractions, initiating DNA synthesis, and building and maintaining healthy bones. The skeletal system houses approximately 99.00% of the human body's calcium while the other 1.00% circulates throughout the blood stream. Most adults typically only intake approximately 50.00% of the required calcium per day. Calcium can not be absorbed without the presence of vitamin D. Overall, calcium is one of the body's most important minerals and is essential for good health and the performance of several bodily functions.

Bodily Functions That Calcium Assists In

Calcium is one of the most important minerals for the human body. It is involved in a myriad of physiological functions and is absolutely critical in the skeletal system. It's absorption is dependent on the body's need to retain calcium at any given point and requires the presence of vitamins B12, D, C and phosphorus to be adequately absorbed. Once it is absorbed, 99% of the calcium retained can be found within the bones and teeth. However, it is still present in other body systems and tissues as an necessary mineral.

Symptoms Of Deficiency:
  • Osteopenia - low bone mineral density
  • Rickets - soft bones
  • Osteoporosis
  • Insomnia
  • Muscular weakness
  • High blood pressure
  • Stiff joints
  • Calcium deficient mothers generally give birth to children who are also calcium deficient
  • Reduced growth and development, particularly within the skeletal system is prominent in calcium deficient children
  • Calcium deficiency in young girls can cause additional problems such as delayed puberty, irregular menstruation, immunodeficiency and anemia
Foods High In Calcium

Dairy products such as milk, cheese and yogurt are the richest sources of calcium. This mineral can also be found in green vegetables such as cauliflower, carrot leaves and cassia. Additionally, adequate calcium sources are found in white, navy and black beans, tofu, oatmeal, almonds and calcium fortified orange juice.

Ailments That Calcium Helps Against:
  • Prevents Osteoporosis
  • Prevents Osteomalacia
  • Helps store less excess fat
  • Improves premenstrual mood
  • Protects against colon cancer
  • Maintains strong and healthy teeth
Side Effects/Toxicity

Calcium doses up to 2,500 mg per day are tolerable to the human body. Doses over 2,5000 mg per day can increase the risk of kidney stones and cause high level of calcium in the blood stream. As a result, calcification of soft tissues and areas of the heart and kidney may occur.